Play Therapy for Children
What is play therapy?
Play therapy is a form of counselling that uses play to help children deal with emotional, social, and mental difficulties. It is a child friendly way of engaging with children and it provides a way for them to talk about their feelings and experiences. Play therapy utilizes play as a child’s natural medium of communication to help them express their feelings in a safe and more comfortable way.
Why play therapy works?
Because children use play to learn and to grow the best way to help a child in expressing their feelings is through play. When you connect with children through play you offer them time to de-stress, stop power struggles and to feel a greater sense of control.
The benefits of play therapy:
- It improves the child’s ability to make healthy contact with themselves and others
- It gives them an opportunity for awareness
- It gives them the opportunity for healing
- It is beneficial to the development of a healthy emotional and social intelligence
- It helps children to relax and feel safe
- It helps children to make plans – both emotionally and socially
- It motivates a sense of empowerment and mastery
Play therapy can be used with people of all ages but here at FAMSA Pretoria, we do play therapy with children between the ages of 5 and 18 years old.